Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Gefen Forums
 General Discussions
 TOSLINK/SPDIF to analog RCA audio out
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

JRT
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  13:55:09  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
I am looking for a breakout box to connect my HDTV to my multiple channel audio system.

I need TosLink input and 6 RCA line out connectors for 5.1 surround sound. This would need to contain a decoder chip. My TV says that it outputs Dolby Digital 5.1 but a chip that did multiple formats might be a better idea.

Does such a device exist or would you consider making one.

JRT

Christopher
Forum Admin

764 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  16:36:04  Show Profile  Visit Christopher's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
We don't have one, but maybe in the future.
Go to Top of Page

rc99
Advanced Member

26 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  20:07:34  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Heh...that's what I was referring to here:

http://forum.gefen.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1844

But just for simple stereo. The only cheap solution I was able to find was:

http://www.amabilidade2002.com/toslink.htm

Otherwise, it's more expensive HiFi or Pro Audio DAC's.

Edited by - rc99 on 02/26/2007 20:08:03
Go to Top of Page

rc99
Advanced Member

26 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2007 :  21:48:39  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Ha! Just found a possible solution to this....from a very interesting source...headphones, of all things! If you look at the Tritton 5.1 gaming headphone system:

http://www.trittontechnologies.com/products/TRIGA600.htm

It comes with its own audio converter box, which accepts both toslink and coax digital inputs, then outputs a decoded dolby digital 5.1 to the headphone system, or to external analog 5.1 inputs via paired mini-plugs:

http://www.trittontechnologies.com/Images/press/dsheets/TRI-GA600.pdf

So...you can use those mini-plug to stereo RCA adapters to get RCA analogs out. Who knows what you'll do with the headphones, though.

Edited by - rc99 on 03/06/2007 21:51:45
Go to Top of Page

Christopher
Forum Admin

764 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2007 :  12:31:58  Show Profile  Visit Christopher's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Sounds like a plan.
Go to Top of Page

Beatle
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2008 :  22:57:44  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Did this work?
I just purchased a new HDTV and the external sound connection is a spdif. Google has brought me here.
I want to hook up the speaker out put to an older sterio system so I can listen to the sound while on my deck.

Nothing fancy.
Go to Top of Page

JasonFitz

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2008 :  11:15:38  Show Profile  Visit JasonFitz's Homepage  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Beatle

Did this work?
I just purchased a new HDTV and the external sound connection is a spdif. Google has brought me here.
I want to hook up the speaker out put to an older sterio system so I can listen to the sound while on my deck.

Nothing fancy.

Are you looking for just a stereo output? We are currently working on a down-mixing device that will take a multi-channel audio track, like Dolby Digital and DTS, and convert it to 2 channel analog RCA audio. We currently have a product that converts digital TOSLINK and SPDIF to analog, but it will only work with 2 channel digital sources, and not multi-channel encoded streams. The new product should be available in the near future.

Jason Fitzgerald
Product Manager
Digital Signage
818.772.9100 x269
800.545.6900 x269
jfitz@gefen.com
Go to Top of Page

MarksManB
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2008 :  23:01:15  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by JasonFitz

quote:
Originally posted by Beatle

Did this work?

Nothing fancy.

Are you looking for just a stereo output? We are currently working on a down-mixing device that will take a multi-channel audio track, like Dolby Digital and DTS, and convert it to 2 channel analog RCA audio. We currently have a product that converts digital TOSLINK and SPDIF to analog, but it will only work with 2 channel digital sources, and not multi-channel encoded streams. The new product should be available in the near future.

I am. And for the same reasons. I just got an HD LCD and the way I had my CRT setup was audio out from TV to stereo via RCA. The HD has SPDIF out only and I would like a converter. Only restriction: has to be inexpensive. Eventually, I will upgrade my audio system and I'm sure I'm going to have digital. In the meantime. I've got all my component's audio out going to the receiver and have to switch inputs on both the TV and the receiver for it to work.

Let me know what you can about your down mixer when you get a chance.

Thanks

-B-

Edited by - MarksManB on 05/17/2008 23:02:05
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

881 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  10:33:20  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
We sure will.

Eugene K
Technical Support
Tel. 800.545.6900
Go to Top of Page

Smurph
Starting Member

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  02:04:04  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
If you are really working an a SPDIF/TOSLINK to analogue Stereo converter then you are going to make a lot of HTPC owners happy. I have spent the last few days scanning forums trying to work out why I can't do this. I have an HTPC based on a GA-MA78GM-S2H mobo and Vista HP. Using Vista media centre I would hope it would act just like a DVD player and output 5.1 on the digital and stereo on the jacks. Apparently hardware wise it is possible but there is a limitation of the Vista spec which says you can only do one (XP used to be ok apparently). Basically I just want to be able to have my 5.1 amp on occasionally but with the analogue sound alway through the spreakers. I don't want to have to come out to windows to switch the the device - especially using the MC remote control - i.e. Wife proof. As stated most people have got round this with an external box like a digital headphone amp.

As a side topic, the irony of all this is that this setup loses the sound through HDMI when the PC wakes up (which is what a media centre does a lot) - anther common problem it seems. Basically it loses the EDID info and you have to run an app like hdmiOn to get the sound back. I saw your DVI detective but would need this for HDMI. This is why I have arrived at this point today. I now use the analogue speaker out as default and fortunately my TV has a stereo-in for one of the HDMI ports.

If you make this kit then I assume I can just leave the PC to use SPDIF out all the time and the box will down mix any DD & DTS to stereo and convert PCM straight. As MarksManB says it should be inexpensive as most people want this to solve a problem rather then enhancing the experience. (Are you planning on allowing us to control the mix?). I was planning on using a splitter before this box but a SPDIF/TOSLINK pass though would be a bonus.

If you have any developments on this then please let me know (or if you need a tester in the UK ). I'm not slitting the wrists yet but MS are a royal PITA.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

389 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2008 :  11:49:24  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
We will keep you posted.

Ron
Customer Service & Technical Support
Gefen Inc.
1-800-545-6900
Go to Top of Page

RodNewstrom
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2008 :  12:38:28  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Won't the new GTV-HT-AUDPROC do the trick?
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=5277
Go to Top of Page

citiscene.productions
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2008 :  19:18:42  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
when is this toslink ac3 downmixer to stereo analogue coming out.....i need 3 of them....i hate to have to have my amps on to watch a movie every time, just use the tv speakers...there must be tons of people with the same problem...hope the solution comes out soon...
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

389 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2008 :  11:40:01  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
The GefenTV Home Theater Audio Processor (GTV-HT-AUDPROC) is scheduled to be released in November. This device will split HDMI digital audio to 8-channel stereo surround.

Ron
Gefen Inc.
1-800-545-6900
Go to Top of Page

mrees
Starting Member

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  20:38:31  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Has anyone found a solution to this by any chance?
Something that would also support DTS?

Damn Vista and its stupid restricions around Analog and Digital output :(
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

881 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2009 :  09:40:22  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
The solution will come out in Feb.

Eugene K
Technical Support
Tel. 800.545.6900
Go to Top of Page

RoyIvyIII
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2009 :  12:31:45  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Will the GeffenTV adapter be coming out in a version which decodes more formats than just PCM 2-channel (specifically Dolby Digital 5.1) down to stereo?

URL: http://www.gefen.com/gefentv/gtvproduct.jsp?prod_id=5279
SKU: GTV-DIGAUD-2-AAUD

I need this for Multi-Zone (whole house) audio since no AV receiver can do it as of yet and Vista is handcuffed to only digital _or_ analog output (not both).

ETA for a solution? Thanks.

- Roy Ivy

Edited by - RoyIvyIII on 02/14/2009 12:32:25
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

389 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2009 :  09:07:49  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hello Roy,

Please use the GefenTV Digital to Analog Decoder (EXT-DD-2-AA). This unit is shipping now and is specifically designed to decode Dolby Digital 5.1 audio.

Cheers,

Ron
Gefen Inc.
1-800-545-6900
Go to Top of Page

RoyIvyIII
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  12:13:28  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Ron,

The GTV-DD-2-AA (URL: http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=5980) looks just like what I need (PCM 2-channel and DD 5.1 down to analog stereo).

Thanks (I just ordered one from your website).

- Roy Ivy

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

389 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2009 :  09:08:26  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
We hope everything works out for you!

Ron
Gefen Inc.
1-800-545-6900
Go to Top of Page

victorypoint

6 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  22:13:17  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Does this unit decode DTS?
Go to Top of Page

mikep
Administrator

577 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2009 :  08:44:38  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Only LPCM 2-channel and 5.1 Dolby Digital.

Best Regards,

Michael
Gefen Inc.
1-800-545-6900

Edited by - mikep on 03/10/2009 08:45:24
Go to Top of Page

raymitch
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2010 :  08:54:16  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Does anybody know of a headphone system that accepts both optical and coax SPDIF?
Go to Top of Page

avincent
Administrator

643 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2010 :  16:26:27  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I have not seen such a system but there is a market for it.

Alexander Vincent
Gefen Technical Support
Tel- 1(800)545-6900/ (818)772-9120
Fax- (818)772-9100
Go to Top of Page

racerV
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  09:06:18  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I just purchased your DAC to convert the fibre output from my LG LCD to RCA which is feeding a Sony car stereo (I am in an RV) Upon connecting the RCA cables, I am getting what seems to be a 60 hz hum which when the stereo is turned up is very annoying. How do I get rid of this noise? Was never an issue before.
Go to Top of Page

avincent
Administrator

643 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  10:35:06  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Which DAC do you have? Is it the Dolby or non-Dolby version? Also, is your car stereo properly grounded?

Alexander Vincent
Gefen Technical Support
Tel- 1(800)545-6900/ (818)772-9120
Fax- (818)772-9100
Go to Top of Page

chenhongjuan
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  20:20:52  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
quote:
Originally posted by JRT

I am looking for a breakout box to connect my HDTV to my multiple channel audio system.

I need TosLink input and 6 RCA line out connectors for 5.1 surround sound. This would need to contain a decoder chip. My TV says that it outputs Dolby Digital 5.1 but a chip that did multiple formats might be a better idea.
http://www.eluxurysin.com/
Does such a device exist or would you consider making one.

JRT

maybe in the future.

Edited by - chenhongjuan on 09/27/2010 20:21:29
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

519 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2010 :  08:28:43  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
This unit would be the closest thing available. GTV-AUDDEC http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=8202

Johnny

Gefen Inc.
Go to Top of Page

nelson18
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  15:43:16  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I had the same need as you did and I just ordered this converter box:

http://sewelldirect.com/Sewell-Digital-to-Analog-51-DTS-Surround-Sound-Decoder-SPDIF-to-RCA.asp

Note that the manufacturer has both the RCA version (shown above) and one with ganged 35mm plugs:

http://sewelldirect.com/Sewell-51-DTSDolby-Digital-to-Analog-Converter-35mm-Output.asp

The issue is that my HDTV receiver (PrimeDTV ePVision PHD 205LE) does indeed have an HDMI output, but that HDMI output only has 2-channel stereo sound. The manufacturer assumed that it would run to a TV, so it only needed stereo speaker support (they said this in their support). In looking around, I've found many HDTV receivers with the same problem -- their HDMI output only supports stereo, and the receivers themselves only have stereo RCA outputs instead of 5.1 RCA outputs.

However, my HDTV receiver does have TosLink 5.1 output, hence the need for a TosLink to 5.1 (6-channel) RCA converter.

I can't say how well this Sewell unit works since I just ordered it and it will arrive in a couple days (I found this thread while looking for such a converter box).

I have Gefen's analog-to-digital converters and those will mate to this Sewell box. The output from Gefen's analog-to-digital converters then go to my JBL LSR4328 digital PCM-input speakers. I presently have the Gefen converters running from my HTPC and BluRay player, so I know that that process works correctly.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Edited by - nelson18 on 09/06/2011 16:34:27
Go to Top of Page

mikep
Administrator

577 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2011 :  08:53:04  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Go to Top of Page

nelson18
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2011 :  14:38:13  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Just a follow-up to my previous post (09/06/2011). The Sewell box that I mentioned works fine and interfaces well with the Gefen analog-to-digital boxes. I've been using all of this now for a couple of weeks and have not had any problems.

My DTV receiver has 5.1 Toslink output, but only stereo analog outputs. So I route that Toslink output to the Sewell box, then send those outputs through 3 Gefen analog-to-digital PCM converters, then send that to my JBL LSR4328 digital speakers.

Note that I use Cat5 cable to connect the Gefen boxes to the speakers about 80 feet away through my attic (since it is a digital PCM signal, currents are low). So folks using horribly expensive thick heavy oxygen-free copper AC-noise susceptible ground-loop coupling humming cables should consider joining the 21st century.

Scott
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

519 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2011 :  09:15:40  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply

Johnny

Gefen Inc.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Gefen Forum © Gefen Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.12 sec. Snitz Forums 2000