Save Password
Forgot your Password? | Admin Options

All Forums
 Gefen Forums
 General Sales Questions
 HDMI 13b to DVI Dual Link 2560*1600
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic

CySlider
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2009 :  22:27:11  Show Profile  Edit Topic  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Topic
Hi there,

I have a high end gaming Laptop with a HDMI 1.3b 19-Pins output and also I have a Dell 30" WFP3007 Monitor supporting the Resolutions 1280*800 and 2560*1600 (no internal scaling)

Is there an adaptor which I can use to drive the full 2560*1600 resolution? With my current Adaptor the EDID data only shows that the Dell supports 1280*800.

On the Official HDMI page I found this promissing:

High Speed (or category 2) cables have been tested to perform at speeds of 340Mhz, which is the highest bandwidth currently available over an HDMI cable and can successfully handle 1080p signals including those at increased color depths and/or increased refresh rates. High-Speed cables are also able to accommodate higher resolution displays, such as WQXGA cinema monitors (resolution of 2560 x 1600).

Thx in advance,
CySlider

n/a
deleted

389 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2009 :  10:19:43  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi CySlider! Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, a Dual-Link scaler to maintain the native 2560x1600 resolution is not yet available.

However, any 1080p scaler (HD Mate Scaler, Home Theater Scaler Plus, GefenTV 1080p Scaler) will allow any dual-link monitor to run at half the native resolution (1280x800) when the source input connected via component.

Best regards,

Ron
Customer Service & Technical Support
Gefen Inc.
1-800-545-6900
Go to Top of Page

CySlider
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  00:33:02  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Don't misunderstand me, I don't want to scale, I just want to patch through the 2560*1600 resolution which 1.3b should be able to provide. I don't have any problems on running on 1280*800, a simple $3 HDMI->DVI adapter does the trick, but thats ugly on a 30'' display.

I would need a HDMI 1.3 Single Link (340 MHz) -> DVI-D Dual Link (340 MHz) adapter. Does such an adaptor exist?
Go to Top of Page

eyefragment
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  04:24:41  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
I am in a similar position. I have an HDMI 1.3 port on my laptop, but need to convert it to Dual-Link DVI in order to drive a display (Gateway XHD3000) at its full resolution. The gateway already has a built-in scaler, so I can run things at 2560x1600 scaled up from 1920x1200 without any problems. I cannot run, however, run the display at a native 2560x1600 resolution, despite HDMI having enough bandwidth to do so. The HDMI port on my display is only v1.2, and I have not been able to find a converter from HDMI 1.3 to true dual-link DVI. Another possibility for me would be a 2x single link DVI --> Dual Link DVI converter, as my laptop has both an HDMI and a VGA port (and each of those can be converted to DVI), but I'm not sure if the video card would play nicely with such an unorthodox setup. The HDMI converter would be extremely helpful for me, but I have no clue if it is technically possible or available on the market.

To CySlider: You and I are in the same boat, I think, so here's what I know about such a converter: From what I understand, passive conversion is impossible. Even though HDMI 1.3 carries much more bandwidth over a single-link connection, Single Link is Single Link. If a converter between the formats is possible to make, it would need to be powered and likely be a fair bit more expensive than the passive converters that you'll find all over the place if you search "HDMI to Dual-Link DVI" on google.

Edited by - eyefragment on 02/09/2009 04:32:21
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

389 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  09:12:17  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Unfortunately, we do not offer a Single-link DVI to Dual-link DVI converter at this time.

Ron
Gefen Inc.
1-800-545-6900
Go to Top of Page

lateAdopter
Starting Member

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2011 :  13:00:24  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

Just wondering if there has been any update that anyone is aware of to
potential adapters that perform the following:

1. twin single link DVI-D to a single dual-link DVI-D
(is this being used internally in some high res monitors with 2 DVI-D inputs?)

2. dual-link DVI-D to HDMI 1.3 or better AND
HDMI 1.3 or better to dual-link DVI-D

Thanks (but not really expecting a response),
lateAdopter (very)
Go to Top of Page

avincent
Administrator

643 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2011 :  14:23:49  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
As far as Dual Link DVI, we are developing a dual link dvi to minipisplay port converter (to be released by summertime) but not the two you have mentioned above.

Alexander Vincent
Gefen Technical Support
Tel- 1(800)545-6900/ (818)772-9120
Fax- (818)772-9100
Go to Top of Page

Guerdon
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2011 :  16:12:50  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
This seems to be a common and long outstanding problem that has yet to be solved.

Do you have any plans to produce anything that will take a HDMI output (i.e. from a laptop) and create a Dual Link DVI or Displayport input for a high resolution, wide gamut monitor (i.e. one that needs the addtional bandwidth of the second link in DVI or in Displayport)?

Many people use laptops rather than desktops these days and so are typically limited to HDMI and VGA outputs (i.e. they do not have a DVI or Displayport output from their graphics card, which would typically be common in a desktop computer).

The HDMI cables etc. all seem geared to limiting the resolution to 1920 x 1080 (presumably for 1080p HD TV). However, there has, theoretically, been plenty of bandwidth available in HDMI for years.

From research I have done, it appears that the issue with HDMI to Dual Link DVI is that HDMI is a single link and Dual Link DVI is obviously a dual link. As such any, conversion would have to be from single to dual link, which would require an active rather than a passive conversion.

So, I repeat, are their any plans for:
1) HDMI => Dual Link DVI
and / or
2) HDMI => Displayport
Go to Top of Page

mikep
Administrator

577 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2011 :  15:58:05  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
HDMI will not support dual link. This will only work with a HDMI scaler in line that outputs dual link but apparently the technology is not available to do this.

Best Regards,

Michael
Gefen Inc.
1-800-545-6900
Go to Top of Page

Guerdon
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2011 :  18:26:58  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks for your response mikep. However,

1) HDMI => Dual Link DVI

Are you saying that there is no technology available to take a single link HDMI signal and output a dual link DVI signal?

I thought that HDMI and DVI were very similar and you just need the second link in DVI to carry the extra bandwidth which can be carried over the single link in HDMI.

I guess you'd need a powered, active, adapter to perform the signal split / conversion.

2) HDMI => DisplayPort

I have seen http://www.kramerelectronics.com/products/model.asp?pid=1213

So it appears that you can take a HDMI signal and create a DisplayPort signal. I was just hoping for a simpler, smaller, cheaper solution for a one to one connection, more similar to:
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=8687

3) USB => DVI

I have just seen:
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=8863

Presumably this is USB to single link DVI, hence the restriction to 1920 x 1080.

If so, are there any plans for a Dual Link DVI version to support higher resolutions / colour bit depth?
Go to Top of Page

mikep
Administrator

577 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2011 :  09:40:41  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
1) HDMI and DVI "single link" is basically the same. To acheive dual link output requires scaling and not just extra pins.

2)HDMI to displayport adapter will only output single link and not dual link

3)USB to DVI will also only output single link only.

As said to my previous response, there is no technology to support the scaling to dual link resolutions.

3)

Best Regards,

Michael
Gefen Inc.
1-800-545-6900
Go to Top of Page

Areometer
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2011 :  19:38:29  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Hi,

I need some help here please.

My display: Dell 3007WFP (30") that takes only DVI-D Dual Link as input.

My laptop: Lenovo X120e that outputs in VGA (2560x1600) and HDMI (1920x1080) via an ATI Radeon HD6310 graphics card.

My goal: Use the Lenovo with the Dell display at full resolution of 2560x1600.

I was silly enough to think that a simple HDMI v1.3 -> DVI-D Dual Link cable will make this happen - even at 1920x1080 that Ifd be happy. Of course that it didn't happen. My laptop keeps outputting at 1280x or lower or nothing at all.

So if I'm willing to settle for a resolution of 2048x1152, is my best bet a USB to DVI-D video card like this? http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=8863

Will the image look funny on my 30" display? Black rim surrounding the area? Distortion?

Is there any way to convert the HDMI output of my laptop into DisplayPort?

Thanks for all your help.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

519 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  08:56:55  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
It looks like you monitor will only support 1280x800 single link or 2560x1600 dual link. The only way to have you display work correctly is by using a Laptop with a DVI dual link ouput. That is the only way it will work with your display.

Johnny

Gefen Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Areometer
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  10:43:10  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Thanks for your reply Johnny. Right now my desktop + ATI Radeon 9600 Series graphics card allows my Dell 3007WFP to display in 2560x1600, 2048x1536, 1920x1440, 1920x1200, etc. So the video card can scale and make other resolutions possible, right?

Needless to say, this Radeon graphics card has a DVI-D dual link output port...
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

519 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  13:44:47  Show Profile  Edit Reply  Reply with Quote  View user's IP address  Delete Reply
Aslong as you are using the DVI-D output, it will work for you at 2560x1600

Johnny

Gefen Inc.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic Lock Topic Edit Topic Delete Topic New Topic Reply to Topic
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Gefen Forum © Gefen Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Generated in 0.09 sec. Snitz Forums 2000